Friday, September 28, 2012

Goals that I am Working Towards


I have goals that I am working towards this year.  1)  I would like to feel more comfortable with individual counseling.  I feel that the more I have individual counseling sessions, the more comfortable I will feel doing them.  I also believe that by having peers and our professor review the sessions I will gain helpful suggestions on ways to improve them.  2) I would like to become more knowledgeable with technology that I can use to enhance my counseling sessions and my guidance lessons.  I have been out of the school system for over three years and it is amazing at how quickly things have changed.  Teachers are using new pieces of technology in their classrooms that I am not familiar with.  I feel the best way to learn more about these new pieces of technology is to actually use them instead of being intimidated by them.  3) I would like to become more knowledgeable about theories to integrate into my counseling sessions and therapeutic techniques to use with those as well.  I have obviously had classes about these theories but when it comes to putting them into practice I do not feel as confident.  It would be helpful to me to use some class time to go over these theories or to discuss with my classmates on theories and techniques they use.  4)  I want to learn more about what counselor do to plan and implement their plans at schools.  I would like to learn more about what is expected of counselors at the various levels of education.  I hope to gain a greater insight to this with the hours I spend working with the counselors at the schools during my Practicum.  5)  I would also like to become more assertive in personal and professional relationships.  As a counselor, I will be working with faculty, staff, parents and students.  I want to be able to have the confidence to say what I am thinking and feeling in a respectable manner.  I feel that this will come with experience.  The more experience I gain the more confident I will become.

2 comments:

  1. I would also like to become more knowledgeable/capable of implementing specific techniques of theories I like in my counseling. As you said, I've learned about such things but putting them into practice isn't as simple as knowing the techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about technology and how it is impacting the classroom. It is would be amazing to go back in time to when I was in school and take a classroom of today with me, teachers and students would think they were on an alien planet. We have no choice but to stay up to date on new technology and be innovative ourselves to be effective counselors and educators.

    ReplyDelete