Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Counseling Skills Reflection

Based on my peer review from Tape 1 I feel that I am where I thought I would be.  Recording myself is never a fun thing for me to do, let alone when it is a recording of a counseling session where I know it will be listened to and reviewed!  I am gaining a little more confidence now but I truly do not think I will be fully confident in myself until I am actually working in a counseling position on a daily basis.  I know that I need improvement but I feel that is expected at this stage.  I would like to improve my questioning abilities and just knowing when and what to ask.  I would also like to improve my knowledge on knowing which theories to use in various types of sessions.  The main way to continue to improve is to keep counseling and having individual sessions.  I feel that I will improve with practice.  I also need to study more on the theories so that I will be aware of which theory to put into practice with my sessions.  I also feel that the Practicum class sessions help with my improvement.  We have the opportunity to discuss with our professor and fellow classmates and to listen to individual sessions as well.  I am not exactly sure when I will know that I have improved other than when I feel that my time spent with the students is being beneficial to them and they are improving.  I think the best way to measure how I am doing is to see how the students that I am counseling are doing.  The class can help me to improve and reach my goals by providing and sharing what is working for them.  It also helps to have others to talk to about what is confusing me and hope that they can provide some insight to what I am struggling with.

No comments:

Post a Comment