Thursday, August 30, 2012

Individual Counseling

I am very curious as to how many hours a week a student counselor has individual counseling sessions.  I am hoping that I will gain a greater insight to this as I start my counseling hours in the schools.  When I was in school the counselor was seen as someone who worked with testing and possibly helped in some career counseling.  I am not sure that they did any individual and group counseling.  I feel that since I have left high school that this has changed and I hope that is the case.  I realize that schools are operating on a limited budget and have to assign many duties to the staff, but I think it is important to remember what the school counsleor is there for.  Our students need more guidance now than they ever did so I think it is important that counselors have time in their schedule each day to have individual counseling, especially when working with older students.

1 comment:

  1. My counseling experience in school was very similar to yours with little to no real interaction with the students. There is one thing I have found in my current practicum experience that I disagree with. The school counselor has to be the one to expel students and handle all the discipline problems because there is no assistant principal. She says she hates to do it, but there is no one else, so she has to.

    ReplyDelete